You’ve probably heard a lot about pre and probiotics as they’ve become more prevalent in human food, but do you know what they are and how they work? Some human foods like yogurt include different forms of added pre and probiotics, and there are a few different types that have been found to help maintain your cat’s health. TLC includes pre and probiotics in our formulas to support your pet’s gut and overall digestive health. Learn more about what these ingredients are, how they work, and what they do to support your cat’s ‘Whole Life’ nutrition.
What is the difference between Probiotics and Prebiotics?
Probiotics help regulate the intestinal microbial environment. As a result, pathogens and harmful bacteria are stopped from colonizing in the digestive system. TLC Whole Life Cat Food contains the four most important types of Probiotic beneficial bacteria:
- Enterococcus Faecium promotes bowel and colon health by helping to counter other toxic bacteria, including E Coli.
- Lactobacillus Acidophilus inhabits the intestines to protect against unhealthy organisms. As this beneficial bacteria break down nutrients in the intestine, it produces lactic acid and other compounds that make the environment hostile for toxic organisms.
- Lactobacillus Casei inhabits the mouth and intestines to protect against unhealthy organisms. Lactobacillus Casei may assist in the elimination of the harmful H. Pylori bacteria, which may be responsible for stomach ulcers and other gastrointestinal ailments.
- Bifidobacterium Thermophilum is a genus of anaerobic bacteria and a form of probiotic that is thought to have health-promoting properties. Bifidobacteria are one of the major strains of bacteria that make up the gut flora (tiny organisms that help keep your cat’s digestive tract healthy).
Prebiotics are a non-digestible compound that helps to encourage the growth and activity of probiotics. When they reach the intestine, the prebiotics feeds the beneficial bacteria, providing good digestive health.
TLC Whole Life Cat Food contains Chicory root
- Chicory root contains the soluble fiber inulin, which also feeds beneficial bacteria in the intestines.
By supporting a healthy digestive system, you’ll notice more regular, firmer stools and less mess. Good bacteria in the gut help boost the immune system, ward off pathogens, and aids in the absorption of essential nutrients and vitamins. TLC includes pre and probiotics in our Whole Life Cat Food!