Many common household foods are perfectly fine for pups to eat in moderation. Some foods can even be found in nutritious puppy food formulas due to their health benefits; however, some foods are toxic for dogs to eat that all puppy parents should be aware of. If you have toxic foods for puppies, make sure to keep them up and away from your puppy. Review our list of common household foods bad for puppies:
Avocados may be healthy for humans, but for dogs, they can be very harmful. A significant amount of avocado flesh or peel can lead to a mild upset stomach. Ingestion of the pit can lead to more serious problems, including obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract, which requires urgent veterinary care.
Yeast, used in raw dough, can be very bad for puppies if ingested. The warm, moist environment of the stomach allows the yeast to multiply. This results in the dough expanding within the stomach. Side effects include; decreased blood flow to the stomach walls, difficulty breathing, and alcohol intoxication. This is caused by the yeast multiplying and producing alcohol that can easily be absorbed. If you notice signs such as lack of coordination, disorientation, vomiting, coma, or seizures in extreme cases, seek veterinary assistance immediately.
Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine, a type of stimulant that is fatal to dogs and can permanently damage their central nervous system. Watch out for signs such as vomiting, increased thirst, abdominal discomfort, restlessness, severe agitation, muscle tremors, irregular heart rhythm, and in extreme cases, seizures. If these symptoms occur, your dog should be seen by a veterinarian immediately.
Coffee, Tea and other Caffeine
Food and beverages that contain caffeine are extremely harmful to pups. Symptoms of caffeine poisoning include vomiting, heart palpitations, muscle tremors, fits, and bleeding. If your dog is experiencing these symptoms, it is advised to seek veterinary assistance immediately.
Ethanol (Ethyl Alcohol, Grain Alcohol or Drinking Alcohol)
For dogs, even ingesting a small amount of alcohol can cause significant intoxication. Some of the side effects include vomiting, loss of coordination, disorientation, and in more extreme cases, comas, seizures, or even death. For mild signs of intoxication, monitor your pet closely. If your dog is experiencing more extreme symptoms of intoxication, bring your puppy to a veterinarian as soon as possible.
Fat Trimmings and Bones
Fat and fat trimmings may smell and look appealing to your dog. However, these can be very dangerous and lead to problems such as pancreatitis. Dog bones are also problematic when giving pets animal scraps as they can splinter in the dog’s digestive tract, causing an obstruction or laceration of your dog’s digestive system. Try to dispose of bones carefully so your dog will not be able to get to them.
Grapes, Raisins, and Currants
Grapes and raisins are common household foods bad for puppies and can cause many life-threatening problems, including kidney failure. Grape or raisin toxicosis side effects include vomiting, lethargy, or diarrhea within 12 hours of ingestion. As the problem progresses, other symptoms may appear. This includes dehydration, dog becoming increasingly lethargic, and refusing to eat. Kidney failure or long-term kidney disease may occur three or four days after ingestion. If your dog is experiencing any of these symptoms, seek veterinary treatment immediately.
Macadamia nuts are harmful to dogs, causing discomfort that may continue for up to 48 hours. Symptoms include weakness in their rear legs, appear to be in pain, tremors, and hypothermia. If your dog is experiencing significant pain, it may be beneficial to get veterinary care. This may include intravenous fluid therapy and pain control.
Milk and Milk Products
Giving your dog a scoop of ice cream may sound like the perfect treat, but it can be harmful to your dog’s health. Neither cats nor dogs have the enzyme needed to help break down lactose. As a result, ingesting milk or milk-based products can cause digestive problems. This includes an upset stomach, diarrhea, and it even can lead to future issues such as developing food allergies. To help prevent these problems, it is important to keep your pets on a lactose-free diet.
Onion & Garlic
Onion and Garlic in all forms (dry, raw, cooked, dehydrated, and powdered) are common household foods bad for puppies. They contain a chemical that can damage a dog’s red blood cells if a significant amount is ingested. The damage generally is not recognizable until 3 to 5 days after a dog has ingested onion or garlic. Some symptoms include changes in their urine color- orange-tinged to a dark red color, feeling weak and tired, vomiting, dullness, and breathlessness. If your dog is showing any of these signs, be sure to get them examined by a veterinarian immediately.
Cooked eggs are a perfectly healthy treat for dogs because of their high protein content. On the other hand, Raw eggs could lead to many problems, including food poisoning from bacteria like Salmonella or E. coli. Other problems include biotin deficiency if a large amount of raw eggs is digested, which can cause skin problems and affect your dog’s coat.
Xylitol (artificial sweetener) is used in candies, sugar-free gum, and most diet products can be fatal to dogs. If ingested, it can lead to many problems, including hypoglycemia or lowered blood sugar levels. Other problems include liver damage, which can be fatal. Watch out for signs such as vomiting, lack of coordination, disorientation, and seizures. If your dog has ingested products containing xylitol, it is strongly advised to seek veterinary assistance immediately.